If you want to set up your own blog site, the first step is to get a custom domain. I used NameSilo to get my custom domain and keep using it for renewing my domain. I would like to explain why I chose NameSilo as a registrar for my domain, how to sign up and how to set up with your rental server.
- 1. Reason for Choosing NameSilo
- 2. How to Purchase Custom Domain from Namesilo
- 3. How to Change Name Server (DNS Record) [After Getting Web Hosting Service]
1. Reason for Choosing NameSilo
Simply put, they do not have any hidden fees, and they are offering cheapest service as far as I know. Their price is $ 8.99 per year (in case of “.com”). WHOIS Privacy registration is included in this price.
The following chart is an excerpt from the NameSilo’s site. (https://www.namesilo.com/pricing.php as of June 10, 2019). As you can see NameSilo does not charge separate fees for WHOIS registration (shown as “FREE” in the PRIVACY column in the table below), while some of other registrars charge you somewhere between $2.00 to $15.0. Although there are other registrants who do not charge for WHOIS registration, NameSilo’s price is way cheaper.
2. How to Purchase Custom Domain from Namesilo
Now, let me explain how to obtain custom domain name through NameSilo.
2.1 Check if the Custom Domain Name You Want to Get is Still Available
First thing you need to do is to confirm whether the domain name you would like to obtain is still available. This can be done by simply entering the custom domain name in the Domain SEARCH box which is located at the top of NameSilo.com. You do not need to input “www” or “.com” at this time.
2.2 Select the Domain You Want to Get
Now, you can select the domain you want to get. You can do this by adding check mark under the domain name such as .com, .org, .net etc. If any of the domain has been already taken by someone, it is shown as “Registered”, and you cannot add check mark.
2.3 Advanced Settings (Privacy Setting, Coupon Code Entry）
Once you click “REGISTER CHECKED DOMAINS”, you will be navigated to the screen below for choosing the details of your order.
(1) You do not need to change “Service Link” and “Name Server” at this point as they can be changed easily after purchasing the domain name.
(2) Regarding “Auto Renewal” section, it us up to you to chose either “Yes” or “No.”
(3) Please make sure to select “WHOIS Privacy” for the the “Privacy Setting”. You will not be charged for additional fees for choosing this option.
(4) If you have coupon or promotion code, you can enter them to the box under the line which said “Have a Coupon or Promotion Code?” If you don’t please use the code “JUNSILO” which will give you a discount of $ 1 as shown above . This code is effective until December 31, 2020.
2.4 Select the Payment Option and Enter the Necessary Information
Select the payment option (such as Credit Card, PayPay) and enter the necessary information. That’s all. You will receive confirmation email/receipt from NameSilo, shortly.
3. How to Change Name Server (DNS Record) [After Getting Web Hosting Service]
This step cannot be taken until you obtain web hosting service.
I took procedures below after I signed up with my web hosting provider, Hawk Host.
Please refer to the following article if you are interested in Hawk Host.
3.1 Confirm Name Server Information
First, please confirm the nameserver information.
In the case of Hawk Host, the information about nameserver can be found in the email titled “New Account Information” which you should receive once you sign up with them. The same information can also be found in “Manage Product” page of the hawkhost.com. First, once you log in, you will enter to the “Support and Client Area”. There, click “Your Active Products / Services” link which will navigate you to “My Active Products / Services” page. In that page, if you click “Active” button (located in the “Status” column) you can go to the “Manage Product” page mentioned above.
3.2 How to change name server in NameSilo
Once you get web hosting services, your provider will give you information about Name Server. This is the information you need to set up DNS Records.
(1) Log in to NameSilo’s member page.
(2) Select “domain manager” from the “Account Option” column which you can find in the right side of the screen.
(3) Add check mark to the custom domain name whose name servers you want to change. Then, click “Change NameServers” icon on the top.
(4) You will be navigated to Name Server Manager. Here, you can overwrite the NameServer 1 and NamveServer 2 information using the ones you have received from your web hosting provider. Once it’s done you are all set.
Please note that after changing the name server information, it might take several hours to 72 hours before such changes to be reflected on the Internet. Therefore, you have to be patient. In case of me, when I checked back in 10 hours later, I was able to see my custom domain on the internet.
I am a Japanese, residing in the US. I am trying to find a way to earn stable income at home through investments in stocks or other products as well as some sort of internet business. ▶ More detailed profile can be viewed from here.
Latest posts by 暮眞★潤 (Jun Kurema) (see all)
- Basics about IRA (Individual Retirement Account) and 401(k) (Tax-Qualified, Defined-Contribution Pension Account ) - 2020-01-01
- US Person (Citizen, Residents) and Cryptocurrency Exchanges Overseas - 2019-06-21
- How to Get Free Google Play Credits or PayPal Payout (Google Opinion Rewards) - 2019-06-05
- Cryptocurrency Exchanges for US Residents (US Based Exchanges) - 2019-05-30
- Broadway Musical “Oklahoma!”: How to Get Discounted Tickets and Where to Sit? - 2019-05-04