In CNBC “Mad Money w/ Jim Cramer”, stocks that were expected to perform well even in the economy under the coronavirus pandemic were introduced under the name of “Mad Covid-19 Index”. In this article, I would like to introduce them along with Stay-at-Home stocks.
- 1. Background and Disclaimer
- 2. ”Mad COVID-19 Index” by Jim Crmer（from April 27, 2020 Mad Money Episode）
- 3. Predecessor of “Mad COVID-19 Index” ～ “Stay-At-Home Stocks”
- 3.1 Stokes Which Can Survive Under Corona Virus Pandemic（from April 23, 2020 Mad Money Episode)
- 3.2 Stocks Which Should Be Included in the Stay-at-Home Portfolio（from April 15, 2020 Mad Money Episode)
- 3.3 Stocks Which Should Be Included in the Stay-at-Home Portfolio（from April 6, 2020 Mad Money Episode)
- 3.4 Stay-At-Home Stocks Which Were Mentioned in Mad Money Prior to April (During February 27, 2020 to March 31 2020)
1. Background and Disclaimer
On the TV show “Mad Money w/ Jim Cramer” which is hosted by Mr. Jim Cramer, Cramer has been introducing the stocks whose prices are expected to rise in the future or which is benefiting from the economy despite slaggish economy due to outbreak of coronavirus. He called those stocks as “Stay-at-Home stock” in the show.
Since business impacts from coronuvirus have divided businesses into two groups: a group whose business has been hit hard (eg. travel industries, energy industries) and a group whose business has suffered just a little (or even benefited from coronavirs). Because of such situation, it seems Jim Cramer reached a theory that at this point it is better to invest to a group of industries that has been receiving little or no impact from Coronavirus pandemic, rather than investing to 500 S&P Fund because 500 S&P consists of both groups. And from this perspective, he introduced “Cramer’s COVID-19 Index” in his April 27, 2020 episode. The Cramer’s COVID-19 Index consists of around 100 stocks (17 sectors) whose prices have been risen, or expect to rise even more.
Please note that this article does not intend to say that it is the time to buy the stocks mentioned here, as the prices of some of the stocks listed in the index might be already risen too high. Please make individual decisions regarding when to buy any stocks. Also, please understand that this article does not recommend investments in any particular stock.
In the May 26, 2020 episode of Mad Money, 10 stocks out of 100 listed in the “Cramer Covid-19 Index” were replaced with other stocks. In this respect, I posed a separate article which lists revised Cramer Covid-19 Index. Please refer to the below article for the revised index.
2. ”Mad COVID-19 Index” by Jim Crmer（from April 27, 2020 Mad Money Episode）
In the April 27, 2020 Mad Money episode, following stocks which consists of about 100 stocks in 17 sectors are introduced as stocks which we could expect decent returns even under the current tricky economy.
|Beverages||PepsiCo (PEP), Boston Beer (SAM)|
|Cloud software||Salesforce (CRM), Adobe (ADBE), Zoom Video (ZM), RingCentral (RNG), Slack (WORK), CrowdStrike (CRWD), Okta (OKTA), Zscaler (ZS), Cloudflare (NET), Coupa Software (COUP), DocuSign (DOCU), Everbridge (EVBG), Veeva Systems (VEEV)|
|Consumer packaged goods||Clorox (CLX), Colgate-Palmolive (CL), Kimberly-Clark (KMB), Procter & Gamble (PG)|
|E-commerce||Chewy (CHWY), EBay (EBAY), Shopify (SHOP), Prologis (PLD)|
|Financials||MarketAxess (MKTX), Tradeweb (TW), Square (SQ), PayPal (PYPL)|
|Video games||Activision Blizzard (ATVI), Electronic Arts (EA), Take-Two Interactive (TTWO)|
|Home entertainment providers||Netflix (NFLX), Roku (ROKU), Snap (SNAP), Spotify (SPOT), Akamai Technologies (AKAM), The Trade Desk (TTD)|
|Health care||Abbott Laboratories (ABT), AbbVie (ABBV), Centene (CNC), UnitedHealth Group (UNH), Gilead Sciences (GILD), Regeneron (REGN), Sanofi (SNY), Danaher (DHR), Thermo Fisher (TMO), Eli Lilly (LLY), Baxter (BAX), Becton Dickinson (BDX), DexCom (DXCM), GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Masimo (MASI), Perrigo (PRGO), Pfizer (PFE), ResMed (RMD), Zoetis (ZTS)|
|Mega-cap technology||Alphabet (GOOGL), Amazon (AMZN), Apple (AAPL), Microsoft (MSFT)|
|Samll-cap tech||Citrix Systems (CTXS), Logitech (LOGI)|
|Packaged food||Campbell Soup (CPB), Conagra (CAG), General Mills (GIS), Hormel (HRL), J M Smucker (SJM), Kellogg (K), McCormick (MKC), Mondelez (MDLZ)|
|REITs||American Tower (AMT), Crown Castle (CCI), CoreSite Realty (COR), Digital Realty (DLR), Equinix (EQIX)|
|Restaurant survivors||Chipotle (CMG), Domino’s Pizza (DPZ), Wingstop (WING)|
|Retail survivors||Costco (COST), Walmart (WMT), Dollar General (DG), Home Depot (HD)|
|Semiconductors||Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), Nvidia (NVDA), Marvell Technology (MRVL)|
|Safety stocks||Dominion Energy (D), NextEra Energy (NEE), Verizon (VZ)|
|‘Exotics’ (Catch All)||BioNTech (BNTX), Inovio (INO), Moderna (MRNA), Livongo (LVGO), Teladoc Health (TDOC), Barrick Gold (GOLD), Beyond Meat (BYND), Freshpet (FRPT), Inseego (INSG), Owens & Minor (OMI), Peloton (PTON)|
Source: April 27, 2020：Jim Cramer reveals his ‘Mad Covid-19 Index’ of stocks for this ‘tricky environment’ (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/27/jim-cramer-mad-covid-19-index-of-stocks-to-invest-in-this-tricky-environment.html）
3. Predecessor of “Mad COVID-19 Index” ～ “Stay-At-Home Stocks”
3.1 Stokes Which Can Survive Under Corona Virus Pandemic（from April 23, 2020 Mad Money Episode)
Following stocks were are introduced as stocks of companies that have been able to adapt, maintain business and benefit from the coronavirus pandemic.
- Retail plays: Amazon (AMZN), Walmart (WMT), Costco (COST), Target (TGT)
- Consumer goods plays: Kimberly-Clark (KMB), Procter & Gamble (PG)
- Pantry plays: Hormel Foods (HRL), J M Smucker (SJM), General Mills (GIS), Mondelez International (MOLZ), McCormick (MKC)
- Stay-at-home plays: Zoom Video Communications (ZM), RingCentral (RNG), ZScaler (GS), Okta (OKTA), Crowdstrike (CRWD), Domino’s Pizza (DPZ), Netflix (NFLX)
Source: April 23, 2020: Stop buying index funds and buy these ‘Covid winners’ (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/23/jim-cramer-stop-buying-index-funds-and-buy-these-covid-winners.html）
3.2 Stocks Which Should Be Included in the Stay-at-Home Portfolio（from April 15, 2020 Mad Money Episode)
In the April 15, 2020 episode, following 18 stocks were introduced as stocks which should be included in the stay-at-home portfolio.
Netflix (NFLX), Activision Blizzard (ATVI), Take-Two Interactive (TTWO), Nvidia (NVDA), Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), Amazon (AMZN), Domino’s Pizza (DPZ), Constelation Brands (STZ), Dollar General (DZ), Walmart (WMT), Costco (COST), Campbell Soup (CPB), Mondelez (MDLZ), PepsiCo (PEP), Conagra Brands (CAG), McCormick (MKC), Zoom Video Communications (ZM), Roku (ROKU).
Source: April 15, 2020：Jim Cramer: 18 stock picks worth owning over the S&P 500 (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/15/jim-cramer-18-stock-picks-worth-owning-over-the-sp-500.html)
3.3 Stocks Which Should Be Included in the Stay-at-Home Portfolio（from April 6, 2020 Mad Money Episode)
In April 6, 2020 episode, following 6 stocks were introduced as stocks which should be included in the stay-at-home portfolio.
Constellation Brands (STZ), Conagra (CAG), PepsiCo (PEP), Hormel Foods (HRL), Domino’s Pizza (DPZ), Chipotle (CMG)
Source: April 6, 2020：Cramer breaks down stay-at-home stock picks ‘for the long haul’ (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/cramer-breaks-down-stay-at-home-stock-picks-for-the-long-haul.html)
3.4 Stay-At-Home Stocks Which Were Mentioned in Mad Money Prior to April (During February 27, 2020 to March 31 2020)
In the “Summary of Mad Money Episodes” forum of this site, Mad Money episodes which discussed about Stay-at-Home stocks during February 27, 2020 through Marc 31 2020 were collected in this post. → Mad Money: Episodes relating to Stay-at-Home Stocks (～March 31, 2020）
I am a Japanese, residing in the US. I am trying to find a way to earn stable income at home through investments in stocks or other products as well as some sort of internet business. ▶ More detailed profile can be viewed from here.
Latest posts by 暮眞★潤 (Jun Kurema) (see all)
- Learn from Jim Cramer: Basics of Stock Investments (1)~Who is Jim Cramer？ - 2020-09-26
- Learn from Jim Cramer: Revised COVID-19 Index and Stocks to Consider Buying Now (June 2020 Ver.) - 2020-06-30
- Learn from Jim Cramer： List of Stocks Which Can Beat Coronavirus Pandemic（May 2020 Version)~ Revised COVID-19 Index - 2020-05-27
- Enjoy Free Streaming of Metropolitan Opera’s performance (During Stay-At-Home periods: Mar.16, 2020 – July 25, 2021)：Nightly Met Opera Streams - 2020-05-16
- Learn from Jim Cramer: List of Stocks Which Can Beat Coronavirus Pandemic（April 2020 Ver.) - 2020-04-28